Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
offering Reconstructive and Aesthetic Procedures

You deserve to live your best life with confidence! As an aging mother of two myself, I am passionate about helping women of all ages and sizes feel and look their best. I perform my procedures the way I would want mine done. My team and I are proud to offer patients a level of care and experience that is exceptional.

Top Surgery

Dr. Wong and our team at Gallery Plastic Surgery are passionate about helping trans individuals become comfortable in their own skin. Trans male and trans female patients have made the courageous decision to transition into the gender they identify with after years of feeling like they were born in the wrong body. Doing so takes an insurmountable amount of bravery as they may not necessarily have the support of their loved ones and risk losing their friendships, careers, and relationships. This is why we are a trans safe clinic and respect these patients so much.

Dr. Wong performs “top surgery” for trans male and trans female patients. Top surgery refers to any breast-related surgery that creates the appropriate breast shape and size for the patients’ gender. These include the following procedures: breast reduction, masculoplasty, breast lift (mastopexy), breast augmentation, nipple areaolar complex reconstruction, nipple grafting, nipple reduction, and liposuction of the chest walls.

How To Prepare For Surgery

Preparation is very important when it comes to planning your surgery. Before you meet Dr. Wong, please have the requirements below completed.

Your insurance company may pay for your surgery. Please call them to check your benefits. Insurance companies will typically require patients to have the following prior to surgery:

  1. Two notes from 2 different psychiatrists or psychologists documenting the patient’s transition and mental stability in making this decision.

  2. 1 year minimum of being on hormone therapy

  3. Be over the age of 18

What To Expect After Surgery

Our patients tend to be elated and relieved immediately after surgery. They say that a huge burden has just been lifted off of them and they can finally feel like who they were meant to be. Despite this, we remind all patients that recovery is a process. Swelling will typically worsen during the first few days before it improves. Roughly 70% of the swelling will improve by 6-8 weeks after your surgery and the remaining 30% will resolve in the 3-4 months after that. The swelling will fluctuate, best in the morning and worsening by the end of the day until the 6 month time point. Bruising typically lasts 2-3 weeks. Discomfort typically feels like soreness, but patients tolerate these surgeries quite well.

Trans Male Postop:

Typically, nipple areolar skin grafts are used to reconstruct the areolas in a more aesthetically male position. A special bolster dressing is applied to the area and sewn in to decrease any empty space between the wound bed and the graft. This also enhances the viability of the skin graft to “take.” The dressing is kept dry and clean for 1 week. Once it is removed, the skin graft is still protected carefully to prevent shear. Typically, by the end of the second week, the graft is strong enough for gentle showering.

Having drains after surgery may be necessary to prevent fluid accumulation. Typically, these are removed in 1 week. Plan on being off of work for 2-6 weeks, depending on how strenuous your occupation is.

Trans Female Postop:

Most of these patients are suitable for breast augmentation. Typically, a saline or silicone breast implant is used as a prosthesis. Dr. Wong recommends a subpectoral (ie. under the muscle) position to decrease the risk of capsular contracture. Breast implants need to be exchanged every 10 years. Dr. Wong will carefully review implant sizes and your goals with you prior to surgery. Remember, bigger is not always better and will not necessarily make you feel more feminine. Plan on being off of work for 2-6 weeks, depending on how strenuous your occupation is.

    Skinbetter